Is it possible to recycle used hearing aids? Whether they belonged to a departed family member or you decided to update your hearing aids to something fancier like a cochlear implant, the solution is the same: donate your pre-owned hearing aids rather than throwing them away.
There are several organizations that acquire and distribute used hearing aids to people who need them, and there are lots of people who need them. Keep reading to find out how and why to donate used hearing aids.
Why You Should Think About Donating Your Pre-Owned Hearing Aids
- About 14% of the overall population, suffers from hearing loss
- Of all of the adults who have loss of hearing 91% percent are above the age of 50
- There is evidence of loss of hearing in 15% of school aged children
- Hearing aids would benefit nearly 29 million adults with loss of hearing, but…
- …hearing aids are actually utilized by only 16% (4.6 million) of them
- First time hearing aid users have an average age of 70, but again…
- Of those people over 70 who require hearing aids, less than 30% percent have ever used them
I think we should be worried. Because untreated hearing loss has been associated with several health problems from an increased risk of falling to cognitive decline and depression. The importance of your hearing to your general health is supported by new studies coming out all of the time. Getting hearing aids can lessen these health problems (and in some cases even reverse them).
And loss of hearing will cost the average family up to $12,000 each year which should be a very persuasive point. But that expense can actually be decreased by up to 50% by using hearing aids.
It may not be feasible for families who lose $12,000 a year to afford to buy hearing aids.
Your old hearing aid can have an enormous impact, in the overall health, quality of life and financial stability, for an individual in need who couldn’t normally afford a hearing aid. It may also help a child in school who has difficulty hearing, which could impact their ability to get into higher education and make a decent living when they’re older.
Donating Your Used Hearing Aids
Old hearing aids are recycled and distributed by numerous manufacturers and volunteer groups. Come and see us so we can guide you on the right recycling choice for you. Or you can simply give us a call.